Friday, May 8, 2009

RiP: A Remix Manifesto screening




I wondered how much this film would be relevant to me. As an artist I don't deal with copyright issues on a daily basis, in practice maybe not theory at least but...... this battle recently was thrown into my face by a recent heated debate about what defined "stealing" and what is appropriate. Should filmmakers create their own music for all of their films? Is borrowing music to make a project without getting consent illegal? Or moreover morally okay? These questions have been thrown around recently. As I watched this film unfold, I realized that for myself creativity is limited by rules, and we all must conclude for our own personal use what is appropriate to follow and what is oppressive. And no matter what our choice is, stand by our beliefs and don't back down. Progression can only happen with a fight. I am choosing creativity and swimming through the rest.

I highly recommend this film. It is truly inspiring. 




No comments:

Post a Comment